Sunday 22 April 2012

Pink & White Cupcakes

The first recipe of my Cupcake Challenge is from a book which my Mum bought for me from Next. It's called I love cupcakes, which I do!

The topping for this is less like frosting and more like Meringue, but it gets the thumbs up from my man :]

Ingredients (makes 16):

115g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
115g butter, softened
115g caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1tbsp milk
few drops red food colouring 

for the topping:
1 egg white
175g caster sugar
2tbsp hot water
large pinch of cream of tartar
2 tbsp rasberry jam
3tbsp desiccated coconut lightly toasted

How to:
  • Preheat oven to 180c/350f/Gas Mark 4.
  • Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
  • Add the butter, sugar and eggs, and beat together using an electric hand whisk until smooth.
  • Mix together the milk and food colouring and whisk into the mixture until evenly blended.
  • Spoon the mixture into paper cases.
  • Bake for 20 mins or until risen and golden brown.
  • Transfer to wire rack and leave to cool.
For the topping:
  • Put the egg white, sugar, water and cream of tartar in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water.
  • Using an electric hand whisk, beat for 5-6 minutes until the mixture is thick and softly peaks when the whisk is lifted.
  • Spread a layer of rasberry jam over each cupcake then swirl over the frosting
  • Sprinkle with the toasted coconut


What I learned:
  • I am still getting to grips with my oven, cakes take twice as long as they should, but the cupcakes cooked double quick, and then burned a little, which really annoyed me!! So, the only person judging this batch, will be Dave.
  • I have lost one of my electric whisk whisks, it still works with one, but it creates lots of splatters, and took forever to get the topping to peak in the pan.
  • 4 big drops of food colouring wasn't enough, couldn't even tell the cakes were supposed to be pink.
  • I'd use less sugar in the topping, it looked a lot at the time, and didn't dissolve very well.
  • Wait for the topping to cool a bit before adding it on top of the jam, to stop it running off everywhere.


Feedback:
A nice combination, even though they're a little burned.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh yum! Great cakes chick! Love the blog idea, look forward to more cakey adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully some slightly more successful ones! I have also worked out today that each cupcake has 4 weight watchers points

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOM. I've realised I've got into the habit of making some kind of cake every week. Last week was white chocolate and raspberry and this week an emergency lemon drizzle because I realised I was hosting a book group that evening - Erk!

    ReplyDelete