Monday 7 May 2012

Poppy Seed & Orange Cupcakes


This weeks recipe is once again from I love cupcakes. I'm not a fan of orangey stuff, but its good to try something different.

Ingredients (makes 12):

2 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp hot milk
85g butter, softened
85g caster sugar
finely grated rind of 1/2 orange
1 large egg, lightly beaten
100g self-raising flour

for the topping:
85g butter, softened
finely grated rind of 1/2 orange
175g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp orange juice

How to:
  • Preheat oven to 180c/350f/Gas Mark 4.
  • Place the poppy seeds and milk in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes (This is the first time I read this instruction,  not sure of its importance).
  • Put the butter, sugar and orange rind in a bowl and beat until fluffy.
  • Gradually beat in the egg.
  • Sift in the flour and, using a metal spoon, fold gently into the mixture with the poppy seeds and milk.
  • Spoon the mixture into paper cases.
  • Bake for 20 mins or until risen and golden brown.
  • Transfer to wire rack and leave to cool.


For the topping:
  • Put the butter and orange rind in a bowl and beat until fluffy.
  • Gradually beat in the icing sugar and enough orange juice to make a smooth and creamy icing.
  • Swirl the icing over the top of the cupcakes.



What I learned:
  • This time, I used the bottom heat only on my oven, and gave the cupcakes 15, not 20 mins. They probably would have been fine at 12.
  • I am not very good with icing sugar, the topping is still a little 'gritty' (any hints and tips are welcome).
  • My baby knife is pretty useful for spreading the icing on top of the cakes. I've bought an icing bag since, so prepare for some, erm... interesting shapes in future....
Ahhhhhh ready just in time for a nice cup of tea and a sit down


Feedback:
I enjoyed, although the bottom still seemed a little overdone. I'll update after I have shared the rest at work and received the general consensus.


Weight Watchers points: 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment