Monday 28 January 2013

It's been a while...

So the hot weather came, the flat got too hot to bake in. Autumn came, I was too busy with other things to bake. Christmas came and my mum bought me some silicone cupcake cases and THIS:



My first ever piping bag! Not just any old piping bag either, one with some pretty funky nozzles. 

So with my new gear, and some free time, my motivation is rocketing back up. I did a little baking at the weekend and I think I have my oven under control, no more burned bottoms! I also realised that one of the recipe books I was working from, creates more "party buns" than cupcakes. So from now on I'll be doubling the amount of mixture that goes into my cases, and halving the amount of cupcakes that I make.

The saddest news of all, is that I am no longer able to taste test my baking :( I'm on a wheat free diet, so I'll have to rely on family and friends for reviews... Until I can find a suitable wheat free alternative of course ;) (suggestions welcome!).

The cupcakes that I made at the weekend were a variation of the Fairy Cupcakes that I made back in May. Only this time I cheated *hangs head in shame*. I baked the cakes as per the recipe, but with 5 visitors imminent  and very little time, I ran over to Tesco and bought Betty Crocker's Buttercream style icing.



I can vouch that it tasted goooood. And it was the perfect opportunity to test my new icing bag! BC claims that this tub will cover up to 32 cupcakes. I thought I was pushing it at 16, and they weren't what I'd call generous toppings.



As you can see, I had a couple of problems with air bubbles, but I'll have the hang of it for next time!



The final "icing on the cake" (groan) was a spot of writing icing.

"Who are Nation Of Warriors?" I hear you cry! (This is the nerdy part). Well. That doesn't really matter. But we had plenty of fun looking for anagrams.

'Til next time!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, thank you so much for visiting me, regarding the pillowcase, you could try on eBay, if you put 1970s M&S pillowcases in one might come up. It's very popular and there's often that design on. I've had a look in my stash but sadly I've none left...good luck! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll keep an eye out. I look forward to visiting your blog again soon :) xx

      Delete